Blue Marlin World Cup Tournament (www.bluemarlinworldcup.com) – While there is a much larger World Cup going on right now, on July 4th the International Billfish community will have their own version of crowning the best in the World for Blue Marlin. For us, this tournament reminds us of all of the great places we have in the world to catch these beautiful creatures.
For those not familiar with the tournament, let me give you the basics. This is a winner take all, largest blue marlin caught (over 500 lbs) anywhere in the world. This is a 24-hour tournament with all participants starting in their respective time zones. One team is literally finishing their day as the next team starts in time zones that are far apart.
Here are some of the reasons we love this tournament.
1. Big Fish – Only 500+ lbs fish can be captured, thus only a few fish are killed. There have been Two Grander Marlin caught in this tournament.
2. Worldwide Destinations – The ONLY truly international fishing tournament in the world. It allows anglers from all over the world, the ability to compete against each other. Here is just a sample of the locations/countries being represented.
Angola Hawaii, USA Texas, USA
Azores Madeira Vanuatu
Bermuda North Carolina, USA
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico Papua, New Guinea
Canary Islands St Thomas, USVI
3. Big Purse – Generally $300,000 + is up for grabs
4. Bragging Rights – A lot of fisheries think they are the best in the World and at least for one day, one fishery can lay claim.
5. Rivalry – Don’t tell the other participating countries, but there is a real rivalry between Kona, Hawaii and Bermuda. Kona has won it Six (6) times and Bermuda Six (6) times. The next closest is Madeira with Three (3) wins.
It is not too late to enter, so if you want to be a part of what we consider one of the best tournaments in the business, go to www.bluemarlinworldcup.com to sign up.
Leave a reply