Richards Bay, South Africa – The first ever recorded Billfish Super Slam in South African water was just recently achieved by Ryan Williamson on his Mallards Citation 900. Ryan and his crew managed to catch a Blue Marlin, Black Marlin, Sailfish and 2 Striped Marlin. This is a great accomplishment anywhere, but is especially impressive given the location. While Richard’s Bay is known to produce multiples species of Billfish, four species in a day had not been accomplished until now. Swordfish and Spearfish have also been caught in these waters, so a Fantasy Slam can actually be achieved.
To add to this accomplishment, Ryan manufactures Pulsator Lures (www.pulsatorlures.co.za) and all his fish were caught on his lures. We don’t keep track of this stat, but this may be the first Super Slam all caught on the same lure brand.
Here is the breakdown on each fish caught.
- Black Marlin (175 lbs) on a Pulsator Marlin Magnet, Size 2 – black, purple, blue.
- Blue Marlin (200 lbs) on a Pulsator Marlin Magnet, Size 2 – black, purple, blue.
- Striped Marlin (200 lbs) on a Pulsator Marlin Magnet, Size 2 – black, purple, blue.
- Striped Marlin (150 lbs) on a Pulsator Marlin Magnet, Size 2 – black, purple, blue.
- Sailfish (50 lbs) on a Pulsator Bonito Smoker, Size 3 – blue silver bonito and white.
In that same trip, they managed to hook two more blue marlin and two more striped marlin, going an impressive 5-9 on Billfish for the day. They started the day targeting blue marlin, but felt confident that they would have a shot at a striped marlin after seeing some fish tailing earlier in the day. They were obviously right, but had no idea that a sailfish and black marlin would also come into their spread.
A very impressive day to be sure, but probably even more rewarding to Ryan, knowing his lures raised all four species of billfish.
That was awesome
We hope to get pictures of the other fish, but they were filming a DVD.
Leave a reply